My passion in baking is growing this holiday since I have nothing to do and I'm eager to learn it. Baking is definitely not easy compared to cooking. You can just add anything anytime when cooking but definitely not baking. One wrong step and there gone your cakes or cookies.
Anyway, I spent my Saturday afternoon baking with Emmelina since the boyf has to OT at the office. :) We decided to bake rainbow cake this time because it is colorful and considering the hoo haa rainbow cakes have brought in the internet, why not? And now my mum and I are trying it again in the kitchen since we have nothing to do at home on this scotching hot Sunday. Many people been asking to share the recipe and instructions so here you are:
2 1/4 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk (room temp)
6 egg whites (room temp)
3/4 cup butter (room temp)
4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 different colorings (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple)
3 cups whipping cream
41/2 tablespoon icing sugar (depends how sweet you want)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Grease two small cake pans with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. Combine milk, egg whites and vanilla extract in a bowl with a fork. Set aside
3. Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt then add sugar to it. Mix at low speed in an electric mixer with paddle attachment. Add butter. continue beating at low speed until mixture look like wet sand.
4. Add 1/2 of the milk mixture and beat for 1 minute then add the remaining milk to it and beat for another 30 seconds. Do not overbeat.
5. Divide batter evenly into six small bowls. Add the respective coloring (5 droplets but if you brighter color feel free to add more) into the bowls. Mix together with a spoon.
6. Pour the purpled batter into the cake pan and gently shake to smooth batter. Bake at 175C for 15 minutes or less. (use toothpick to test whether it is done or not).
7. Once bake, let cool and continue baking the other remaining batter. This is what you will get once all six layers are done.
8. For the whipped cream: Beat the whipping cream together with the icing sugar until stiff peak on top on a bowl of iced water. Freeze for 30 minutes then apply on the cake. Make enough to frost the whole cake.
And the outcome of our cake :) :
Rainbow cake :)~